Behavioral Medicine Training for Clinicians
Boston Behavioral Medicine offers a certificate training program in behavioral medicine for clinicians. Trainees will learn a variety of specialized behavioral medicine techniques including: relaxation skills, diaphragmatic breathing, autogenic training, mindfulness meditation, as well as applied CBT, DBT and motivational interviewing skills. They will also learn specialized behavioral medicine interventions for particular medical (e.g., cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, skin, pain, sexual, etc.) and mental health disorders (e.g., panic, phobia, PTSD, ADHD, habits, etc.). A main emphasis of the certificate training program is the collaboration between mental health and medical systems of care, and the integration of behavioral medicine techniques into clinicians’ practice. We also strongly recommend the optional intensive on-site training in “Clinical Hypnosis and Biofeedback.”
- Eligibility for participation: The training is available to clinicians who have completed their professional training in a mental health or medical field and who are either licensed or “license-eligible” (i.e., have completed all requirements for licensure to practice in their respective discipline).
- Program description: includes some theory, but emphasizes the development of practical skills (see sample seminar schedule)
- Duration: Typically from the first Friday in September to the last Friday in July (total = 36 Friday meetings)
- Date/Time: 3 training hours per week: Fridays 1:00-4:00pm; core seminar 1:00-3:00pm; mentoring group 3:00-4:00pm; (total = 108 didactic hrs)
- Additional clinical requirement: Trainees will also complete a minimum of 36 hours of applied behavioral medicine practice on their own (mentoring will be provided by our staff)
- Certificate completion: After completion of a total of approximately 144 training hours (72 seminar hrs, 36 mentoring hrs, and 36 clinical hrs on clinician’s own time and clinical practice) trainees will be awarded a Certificate of Specialty Training in Behavioral Medicine
Optional hypnosis and biofeedback training are strongly recommended (but not required to obtain certificate).
Co-Directors of Training
Katharine Larsson, RN, CS, Ph.D. / 617-232-2435 x1 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Amaro Laria, Ph.D. / 617-232-2435 x2 / email@example.com
Registration & Application
Click here to open the application form for our Behavior Medicine Training Programs. The form is in Adobe Acrobat format*. You can either fill it out on your computer or print it out and then fill it out by hand. Please mail it to the address on the form with the appropriate deposit. See the form for details.
*To open this form you will need to have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. It can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website.
Withdrawal Refund Policy
Trainees who withdraw from the certificate training program will receive a tuition refund according to the following schedule:
- Before the start of the core seminar: 100% of the tuition collected
- After the first week: 75% of the tuition
- After the second week: 50% of the tuition
- After the third week: No refund
Please note that the $50 application fee is non-refundable.